About the Cultural Center at the Opera House
The Cultural Center at the Opera House was constructed in 1870 and has always been owned by the City of Havre de Grace. The building is historically designated in the Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties (HA-816). It is located within several designated areas: Arts and Entertainment District, Sustainable Community, National Historic District.
It should be noted that the Maryland Historical Trust approved the Opera House renovation plans in January 2013 stating that there would be ‘no adverse effect’ to the historic value of the building because of the renovation. A quote from that letter reads:
“Overall, this is an excellent project that will create an asset to the community and maintain the usefulness and integrity of an important historic resource”.
Opera has very rarely been performed in the Opera House. But in 1870 when it was built, the use of the word “opera” was more politically correct that “theater” or “music hall”. Such entities were considered morally corrupt.